Old Sac RR & Family Progressive Dinner

It was a fun weekend of family time in Sacramento and Roseville. First my family (brother's family - aka parent's of my nephew, our parents and our grandma) met at my parent’s house for a beautiful dinner in their backyard under the pergola. Then on Saturday I met everyone in Old Sacramento, where I was a “home town tourist” and we climbed aboard the Sacramento Southern Railroad for a ride down the Sacramento River, with views of the State Capitol, Tower Bridge, the river, the Delta King, Miller Park and of course, I-5. As a parent on the train told their child, we were riding on “Thomas the Tank Engine’s” cousin, I might say it is more distant than that, but it seemed to work for almost every kid, including my nephew, Luke, who loves the Thomas DVDs and playing with his Thomas’ train set.

After a ride down the river and some time walking around Old Sacramento we all headed to my house in Roseville for lunch and to hang out before starting the family progressive dinner at my cousin’s house a few miles away from my house. She and her husband prepared a great taco bar and got the party started for our 14 person gathering. After dinner we headed to my house for brownies and ice cream. We were able to use almost every main room in my house too, I served everything from the kitchen island, people ate in the kitchen and family room, then we moved out onto the front porch for a little while before heading to the backyard and sitting under the recently constructed pergola, which now has decorative fabric (to increase the amount of shade it provides) and lighting.

Sunday my brother’s family and I went to Bayside for some amazing worship and a great message on Esther, while Luke enjoyed a ride on one of the Bayside Shuttle Busses, playing with toy cars and going on the slide at the Boardwalk (Bayside’s “Nursery”). For lunch we went to Islands and then looked at some properties in Granite Bay, just incase they decide to move from the Bay Area at some point in future. After a busy day, we made one more stop at my parent’s house so Luke could jump in the pool before heading back to his house in the Bay Area.

Next week, I’m off to Bakersfield, Hanford, Visalia, Fresno, Modesto, San Jose and the Bradley Lodge. Then Monday I’m back in Sacramento for a few days before heading out to Ukiah, Willits, Laytonville, Eureka and Crescent City. It will be a lot of driving for my Hertz rental car, but should be fun and I get to stay at my favorite hotel chain, Best Western (free wi-fi and Southwest Rapid Rewards credits, it’s a good deal).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dead Sea Scrolls at Bayside

Snow at Fort Bradley

Celebrating Peanut Butter and Pancake Days, Skiing and Friends