Helping and Giving Back

Photo Credit | Dennis McCoy - Sacramento Business Journal
Sometimes you never know what could happen if you are willing to help someone, especially during a job search.  Almost immediately after being laid-off I knew I would not only have to proactively network, but also give back to the community and my industry by helping friends, helping reporters and doing whatever I could to keep my skills sharp while looking for paying work. I have helped Citizen Voice and Safely Out with a variety of projects including the Swim for Life and set up mini-debates for the June 2010 election.  I helped do media outreach for "Jamba Jump Day." I have helped reporters by volunteering myself as a source.  I have helped friends move and this week I helped two reporters find sources for articles that ran in today's Sacramento Business Journal and Sacramento Bee.  One reporter needed to find people that had been unemployed for more than a year and another that had kept their job, but had changed their lifestyle, while the other just needed to find a new homeowner (nearly the same story that I was featured in last year).  Both reporters were very happy that I was available to assist them and my friends were happy to be sources. So as I continue my search for either a full-time position or to create a more robust freelance and consulting business I am again reminded, that it is important to help others because it keeps my skills sharp, increases self-confidence, allows me to write blog posts and most importantly allows me to continue to develop strong relationships with reporters and others in the Sacramento region.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dead Sea Scrolls at Bayside

Snow at Fort Bradley

Celebrating Peanut Butter and Pancake Days, Skiing and Friends